Chickpea and vegetable curry is a flavorful and hearty dish that is not only delicious but also sustainable. It is a great way to incorporate plant-based proteins and seasonal vegetables into your diet while reducing your carbon footprint.
Here’s how to make this sustainable recipe:
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup of vegetable broth
- 2 cups of mixed vegetables (carrots, cauliflower, and bell peppers)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Cooked rice for serving
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas and set them aside.
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat and add a tablespoon of oil. Add the diced onion, minced garlic, and grated ginger and cook for a few minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Add the curry powder, cumin, coriander, turmeric, and cayenne pepper to the pot and stir to combine.
- Add the can of diced tomatoes, the vegetable broth, and the mixed vegetables to the pot. Stir to combine and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and let the curry simmer for about 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chickpeas to the pot and let them cook for an additional 5-10 minutes until heated through.
- Season the curry with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the chickpea and vegetable curry over cooked rice and garnish with chopped fresh cilantro.
This chickpea and vegetable curry is not only delicious but also sustainable. By using plant-based proteins and seasonal vegetables, you can reduce your carbon footprint and support sustainable agriculture. Additionally, this dish is high in protein, fiber, and essential vitamins and minerals, making it a healthy and satisfying meal option. So, next time you’re looking for a sustainable and flavorful meal, give this chickpea and vegetable curry a try!