Lentil soup is a healthy and sustainable meal that is easy to make and packed with nutrients. Lentils are a great source of plant-based protein, fiber, and iron, and they are also affordable and versatile. Here’s how to make a delicious and sustainable lentil soup:
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Rinse the lentils and set them aside.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and add a tablespoon of oil. Add the diced onion, carrots, celery, and garlic and cook for a few minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the lentils, vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, cumin, and smoked paprika to the pot. Stir to combine.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until the lentils are soft.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the lentil soup hot, garnished with fresh parsley.
This lentil soup is a sustainable and nutritious meal that is perfect for any occasion. By using locally sourced and in-season vegetables, you can reduce your carbon footprint and support sustainable agriculture. Additionally, lentils are a great source of plant-based protein, fiber, and iron, making this soup a healthy and satisfying option. So, next time you’re looking for a sustainable and delicious meal, give this lentil soup a try!